Saturday, February 27, 2010

Poehler hits it out of the Park.


Amy Poehler plays Leslie Knope, a Parks and Recreation department official in Pawnee, Indiana. In Season two's "Practice Date"episode (one I have watched again and again), Leslie is nervous about a first date with Officer Dave (Louis C.K.), a guy she really likes and so her friend Ann (Rahida Jones) goes on a practice date with her -- hi-jinks ensue. Poehler has some of the best lines ever in this episode. Preposterous and hilarious to the Nth degree.

A synopsis:
"Leslie and the staff watch in stunned amazement as City Councilman Bill Dexhart gives a humbling and humiliating public apology to his wife for engaging in sexual activity with a woman, a man and a perfect stranger. To excuse what he had done, Councilman Dexhart used the fact that it was his birthday to somewhat justify his night of debauchery.

“And to my wife, I apologize. All I can say is, I wasn’t just having sex. I was making love to a beautiful woman…and her boyfriend…and a third person whose name I never learned! Furthermore, it was wrong of me to say I was building houses for the underprivileged when I was actually having four-way sex in a cave in Brazil.”

When Mark wonders out loud why anyone in their right mind would want to be a politician since it would only invite an avalanche of scrutiny, the co-workers in the Parks and Recreation department challenge each other to find the most embarrassing dirt on the others."


While this is the official "recap" of the episode, the best bits are with Ann and Leslie.
------------------------

Leslie: I'm really nervous about this first date tomorrow. Do you have, like, a first date outfit I could borrow? Like, I don't know a pair of cargo pants?"

Ann: "Yeah, I wouldn't go with a cargo pant."

Leslie: "What about a sexy hat?"

Ann: "I don't know what that even is."

Leslie: "You're helping already."

------------------------

Leslie: "What if I get drunk and I talk about Darfur too much… or not enough? What if I don't bring up Darfur enough?"

-----------------------

Leslie: "I just have a few more questions for you Ann. What if he shows up with another woman? What if one of my sleeves catches on fire and it spreads rapidly? What if instead of tic tacs I accidentally pop a couple of Ambien and I have to keep punching one of my legs to stay awake."

Ann: "Those are all insane hypotheticals and I promise you they won't happen."

Leslie: "They have happened. All of these have happened to me."

----------------------

Leslie: "Nope, there's more:

One time I accidentally drank an entire bottle of vinegar. I thought it was terrible wine.

Once I went out with a guy who wore 3-D glasses the entire evening.

Oh, one time I rode in a side-car on a guy's motorcycle and the side-car detached and went down a flight of stairs.

Another time I went to a really boring movie with a guy and while I was asleep, he tried to pull out one of my teeth. I literally woke up with his hand in my mouth. We went out a couple times after that, but then he got weird."

----------------------

On the practice date Leslie says "Let's begin our conversation." and pulls out a stack of notecards.

Ann: "What's on the notecards?"

Leslie: "They're possible topics of conversation."


Ann: "Whales, Parades, Electricity, and the rest are blank."

-----------------------

And I could keep on going... it's just never ending... Okay, one last gem:

Leslie: "I have to go to the whizz palace, you know, Dave, the place where you, you know the toilet thing..... (she runs through the restaurant and then turns around and shouts) It's a bathroom. It's called a bathroom."

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin