Sunday, October 29, 2006

Cartoon Classics



This Halloween weekend I joined some friends at the home of Marilyn Monroe and Jesus. Among the guests were a pair of Sparrows... that's Captain Jack Sparrow... and Carla from Cheers. Holly Golightly showed us how to party and Kramer was there without any Seinfeld sidekicks... one ER/Scrubs/Grey's Anatomy dressed gal made sure we were all well medicated and Johnny Cash played a tune while Groucho Marx cracked some jokes. Of course in this bizarro world Groucho was married to Emily Gilmore and Steve Irwin even made an appearance. We had not one witch but two--one's nose is giving me nightmares... while the other is the more famous Professor Mcgonagle, quidditch enthusiast.

I opted for a cartoon classic and dressed as Olive Oyl... I may not be 96 pounds or have extremely large feet, but I thought I might be able to pull together a recognizable look and I think I succeeded. I am not some huge Olive Oyl fan but it was fun to learn a bit about her. It turns out that Popeye wasn't her first love and she actually had a comic before he was even around.

"In the late '20s, Olive was the star of Thimble Theater, E.C. Segar's daily comic strip that revolved around the Oyl family. Thimble Theater ran in 600 newspapers. Her parents were Cole and Nana Oyle and she had a brother named Castor Oyl and a boyfriend, Ham Gravy. Hotfoot, King Bozo were also cast members..... Popeye soon replaced hapless Ham Gravy in Olive's affections. Their first kiss occurred Aug. 27, 1929, when Olive planted a big wet one on Popeye's nose... and by the early '40s the strip had been renamed Popeye." read more here.

I was truly impressed with the calibre of costumes at this event and my very favorite has to be my fellow cartoon legend--Marge Simpson. I've always admired her spirit and her amazing beehive. (Some of you know I've been mildly obsessed with the beehive hairdo for years.) With Marge there is much to love and it's funny how I can hear her voice saying, "Oh, Homey..." just as clearly as I can hear Olive saying "Oh, Popeye..." The costume was so simple and yet so PERFECT. I understand the hair to be a blue furnace filter. I love it!

2 comments:

E.Louise said...

Both the pics are great - I think you make a great Olive Oyl.

Carm said...

Thank you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin