Sunday, May 29, 2011

Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings

When my friend Sean asked me if I wanted to see this concert a few months ago, I was apathetic. I'd never actually heard of Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings. But, I listened to a few songs and I was sold. Best decision ever. What a show!

Sharon Jones is a fireball of energy; despite being 55, the woman just doesn't slow down. The Dap-Kings effect really did a lot to sell the entire event to me. From their CD packaging to their well-crafted atmosphere, the Dap-Kings and Daptone Records works hard to create a hip, vintage feel to the music, to their stage presence, to their website and more. Go their website to hear the songs from the new album. GREAT stuff.



The opening act was pretty terrific too:

Black Joe Lewis and the Honeybears
Opening Act, Fargo Theatre May 18, 2011



I was tempted to buy their CD, despite being able to understand anything Joe Lewis sang -- his lyrics were indecipherable but the overall sound was pretty great. In the middle of the opening act, a Fargo Theatre usher approached us and asked if we'd be willing to move up the front row so an older couple could have our seats... it was too close, too loud for them. I was skeptical. I know enough about theatres and sound to know that we'd be trading quality sound for a close-up view. Still, it was pretty cool to be so close so we went for it. I tried to take pictures but my digital camera has given up the ghost so I had to rely on my Droid phone which leaves a lot to be desired. Still here's one of Sharon getting down.

Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings, Fargo Theatre, May 18, 2011


The song I was most looking forward to hearing....


The song I came home loving...


The Dap-Kings

Before the concert we stopped at Charlies for some ice cream and while we waited in line I was swaying to the awesome in-house music, doing my own little dance. All of sudden, Sean cracked up and I could hear snickers behind me. I was totally freaked--thinking, Good lord, Carmyn, what have you done now? I guess the cause for laughter was that there was a guy behind me reading the High Plains Reader doing the same thing as me--moving to the music--without knowing I was doing it too. So, to the rest of the folks it was a smile-worthy moment as Jimmy and I were dancing our way to the front of the ice cream line. Then an hour or so later, it hit me. Yep. The folks behind us in line were half of Dap-Kings line up. And my unintentional dance partner? Their baritone player Jimmy. Good times.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin