Friday, February 03, 2006

Until the Violence Stops

The Vagina Monologues are the cornerstone of the V-Day movement, whose participants stage benefit performances of the show worldwide each Valentine's Day. The "V" in V-Day stands for Valentine, Vagina and Violence, linking love and respect for women to ending violence against women and girls. The proceeds from these performances go to programs that assist victims of domestic violence.

V-Day has raised (and donated) over $25 million dollars and exists in 76 different countries. The organization has worked directly with women in regions like Cairo, Kenya and the Pine Ridge Reservation to build safe houses and support political resistance.

summary taken from Wikipedia


Tonight my mom and I went to see the Vagina Monologues and I wasn't sure what mom would think. I don't know why I worried. This is a show that speaks to women of all ages. It educates, enlightens, breaks taboos, makes you laugh and cry. I've seen it before and I'll see it again. This show is more than entertainment. It's part of a fundraising event for our local Community Violence Intervention Center. I was determined to find a favorite monologue and mention it... I can't limit it to one.

My favorites:
The Flood
Because He Liked to Look at it
My Angry Vagina
My Short Skirt
A 6-Year-Old Girl Was Asked

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin