Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Book Club -- My Valentine's Day Date

I am involved in two book clubs that meet regularly... This post is about one of them: a group of teachers who meet to read books for pleasure... fiction, nonfiction, poetry... whatever seems most interesting to the group at large. This group is comprised of men and women who have all been affiliated with our local branch of the National Writing Project and we probably have as many as 15 people in the group and we average 5 at a given meeting. So it goes. I make it to nearly every meeting and finish reading most of the books in time for the meeting or at least shortly thereafter... Gilead being one exception. This month's book was not one that initially appealed to me but I did start it and decided to try to finish it...

1421 The Year China Discovered America by Gavin Menzies. There is also a PBS Documentary on the book which I intend to watch after I've read a bit more. At each book club gathering there is always food. We often meet in restaurants though sometimes in homes... this month we decided Chinese food should be on the menu and we were served a very delicious hot and sour soup.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin