Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Reading Watching, Listening..... December in Review

What I Was Reading in December
The Subtle Knife by Philip Pullman
The Amber Spyglass by Philip Pullman
Nature Girl by Carl Hiassen
Boomsday by Christopher Buckley
The Periodic Table: Elements with Style by Basher and Adrian Dingle
Romeo and Juliet Manga Shakespeare illustrated by Sonia Leong
Beowulf by Gareth Hind


In the spirit of education I purchased Basher's fun illustrated book on the periodic table. Nature Girl wasn't as good as Hiassen's young adult effort, Hoot, which I really enjoyed. The Pullman books were rereads and a reminder that while I enjoy the trilogy and found it suspenseful, I did like The Golden Compass best of all. Boomsday is my current audiobook and I'm finding it less than engaging despite being read by Janeane Garafalo, one of my favorites. In an effort to celebrate graphic novels I gave Manga Shakespeare a try (not so great, but an interesting twist, surely) and Beowulf by Gareth Hind was more my speed. It's well done and just in time for me to see the film... still need to do that.

What I was Watching in December
On TV

Absolutely Nothing. Thanks.
Someone deal with this Writer's Strike. Please.

On DVD
La Vie En Rose
Driving Lessons
Interview
Once
Fantastic 4--Rise of the Silver Surfer

Confessions of a Drama Queen
Man's Favorite Sport
Almost Famous
Munich
Superbad
Pirates of the Carribean: The World's End
Tomorrow Never Dies

Previously viewed films for me were Almost Famous, a favorite, and Confessions of a Drama Queen (only I didn't realize I'd seen it before until partway through it). I wouldn't bother with Confessions and Lindsay Lohan. However, if you've never seen Almost Famous, rent it. I love so much about this film. The whole band-aid world is a dream to me.

La Vie En Rose was a biopic about the life of legendary French singer, Edith Piaf. I didn't love the film, but I really enjoyed learning more about this amazing woman. And Marion Cotillard did a fabulous job.

This must be the month of music films for me, because one of my favorite films I watched in Dec. is Once. I love this tender and simple music movie. The main actors aren't even actors, they are professional musicians. The soundtrack is wonderful. The two unnamed main characters' relationship to music is evident and their connection because of that is wonderful.

I watched Munich because it's been on my Oscar watch list for two years and I've not managed to get around to it. It was okay... very violent. Really, a very sad film. Reminding us of the never ending violence happening between Israelis and Palestinians.

Driving Lessons was a delightful surprise. It stars Ron Weasley, just kidding... the actor who played Ron, Rupert Grint and Laura Linney as his mom (she's been in a lot of the films I've seen lately!) Julie Walters plays Evie Walton, and does a wonderful job.

Man's Favorite Sport is a Rock Hudson film that, like most of his 60's romantic comedies, truly entertains. I will say that Paula Prentiss is a bit annoying in the film, however.

At first I thought Superbad was, well, super bad. But as I watched it, either the movie or I mellowed a bit. I didn't love it, but I didn't have it either. The cops were the best thing about the film.

Tomorrow Never Dies was my next installment in the Bond fun. I love James Bond and I really like Pierce Brosnan as Bond. I'll admit it. It's true. Sean Connery still remains number one, but Pierce is right up there. I am sad to think that I'm nearly done watching them all.. I guess from there I simply need to start viewing them all over again.

Pirates of the Caribbean: The End of the World was neither good, nor bad.. it was LONG. Too long. I guess that makes it more bad than good? Maybe?

I do enjoy a good superhero film now and then and I don't think I even saw the first Fantastic Four film, but this was a free rental at the library and so I thought, why not. I guess I could have done better things with my time, but it was still fun. Interview is the film I could have done without. I do love Sienna Miller and Steve Buscemi, but overall, I didn't love this film.


Holiday Films
Love Actually
Holiday Inn
White Christmas
Christmas in Connecticut

I typically love holiday films and those claymation specials on TV with Jimmy Durante narrating. However, this Christmas season I felt like I just didn't have time. It's silly to admit that considering just how many films I did watch. I guess my vacation went by a bit too fast and furiously. White Christmas is a beloved favorite and Love Actually is a contemporary one I've seen before and really enjoy. Holiday Inn and Christmas in Connecticut were two new holiday hits for me. I loved them both. And I love that I can still find new to me classic Christmas flicks to watch. It seems hard to believe I've managed to live this long without ever having seen these.

Documentary
Helvetica
Sicko
Lost in La Mancha
Grey Gardens

I ended up sharing the love of Grey Gardens with my colleague Marcia and I would gladly watch it or the "sequel" anytime, I now OWN a copy. Lost in La Mancha was not quite what I expected. The film was about Terry Gilliam's inability to get his Don Quixote film made. It was interesting and it sort of wore me out. I don't think I could work in the film industry. At least not in the production end. It did feature an interesting conversation/interview in the DVD extras with Salman Rushdie and Terry Gilliam and they even referred to Philip Pullman's Golden Compass book and their respective views on how well it would do at the box office... this doc. was years old so it was an interesting coincidence. Helvetica was actually a bit boring. It's a documentary about a typeface, for crying out loud. I did learn a lot and it was fairly interesting to learn how devoted to typefaces some people are. Oh to be that passionate about just one thing.

Sicko is the one documentary that everyone should see. I don't always agree with the way Michael Moore does things, yet I believe that our country is in a delicate position with health care and that too many loved ones stand to lose too much over the issue of insurance and coverage and so forth. I'm more than a little scared over such things and I think this film drives the issue home. No matter what, Moore gets folks thinking and questioning and that is what matters most. Maybe this year will be different. Vote in 2008.

Animated
Surf's Up
Cars
Ratatouille
The Simpsons Movie

The Simpson's Movie was more like an extended TV episode and while it was entertaining and somewhat shocking (featuring Bart with full frontal nudity) I have to say it was a bit of a disappointment. Could it be I've outgrown my Simpsons love? Ratatouille was decent but not a new beloved Disney for me. Cars was far better than I expected (what with my dislike for all things Nascar). Surf's Up was a bit of a stinker.

In Theatre
The Golden Compass
August Rush
Charlie Wilson's War
No Country for Old Men

The Oscar rush is already starting... once I heard the Golden Globe nominations my must see movie list was set. I'd heard great things about No Country For Old Men, and while it didn't disappoint, I have to say I didn't quite know what I was getting myself into. It's not for the faint of heart. Comparable to the Coen Brothers' film Fargo that way, I guess. I still prefer O Brother Where Art Thou. August Rush will not win any awards but it was a nice celebration of the wonder of music. I do love music films. Robin Williams was a scary mo-fo in that one. Tom Hanks and Philip Seymour Hoffman deserve some awards for their performances in Charlie Wilson's War and it was enlightening and intriguing to see that slice of history that I lived through, completely unaware as a child. I recent years I've learned a lot about life in Iran and Afghanistan in the 70s, 80s, 90s and today. I guess considering our president's current political mess that's as it should be. It was interesting to have just read Three Cups of Tea and then to see this film and then the day after I saw it to find out that Bhutto had been assassinated. Sigh. The Golden Compass was a drama of a different kind. I reread all the three books in an effort to truly form a better opinion on the "evil" they spew... I thought the movie was well done and did a good job hedging what is a much clearer attack on the church in the books. What I liked is that it's more a message of resisting big brother-like oppression ala Orwell. I can't argue with that. I prefer the book, of course, but I can't argue with the casting or the way it was brought to screen. Not bad at all.

What I Was Listening to in December


Christmas Music
Leonard Cohen's I'm Your Man
Alison Krauss and Robert Plant's CD Raising Sand
The Black Crowes' Shake Your Money Maker








a random sampling from my MP3 player here are my posted shuffles:

Dec. 10
Keep it in the Pocket by The Magic Numbers
Burning Up by Eagle Eye Cherry
Joy by Mitch Ryder
Beast of Burden by The Rolling Stones
Let's Do It (Let's Fall in Love) by Ella Fitzgerald






Dec. 23
Life During Wartime by The Talking Heads
Stranded by Heart
She's the One by Bruce Springsteen
Can't Keep it In by Cat Stevens
That's What They All Say by Graham Parker






Dec. 29
Edge of Seventeen by Stevie Nicks
Your Daddy Don't Know by Toronto
Lust for Life by Iggy Pop
Hot Child in the City by Nick Gilder
For Once in My Life by Stevie Wonder

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I also saw Rupert Grint in Driving Lessons. It was a wonderful movie and all the actors were really good in it. It was even better when I watched it for the second time.

Carm said...

Second time, eh? Right now the movie I want to see again is Juno. Loved it!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin