Sunday, December 18, 2005

O Christmas Tree... O Christmas Tree...

I had a decorating window Thanksgiving weekend... motivation too, as I was entertaining in my apt the following Tuesday by hosting book club. However, I foolishly thought "why rush this lovely holiday process..." and so I didn't. Weeks have passed and Christmas would be over before I got my tree up. First I had to clean my storage closet so I could walk in it... find my winter coats (a more pressing need, really)... and eventually make my way to the Christmas decorations. I lovingly spread out all my pretty things and began to sort out where this wreath should go... this stocking... this wall hanging... and finally I was ready for the tree.. I pulled out the lights.. untangled them and plugged them in. With working lights and a plastic tub of decorations I was ready. Then I scoured my boxes for that one with the tree in it. Somehow none of them seemed big enough.. Perhaps I'd missed it in the closet.. I found my tent, but no tree... As I was fruitlessly searching it hit me and I stopped in shame to realize I no longer owned a tree. My smallish fake tree I'd used the past few years had met its end last Christmas because of a broken plastic stand. I glued it again and again and still my tree collapsed a couple times and so when it was undecorated it was in the dumpster. Unfortunately I didn't think to purchase another one... say at the after-Christmas clearance sales...

Now with one week before the holiday I had to find an inexpensive replacement tree. I wanted a bigger and better one but I also didn't have the money that buys bigger and better. So I looked for the next best thing... something under $50.00. I scored big at Target. Not only were they selling theirs for 30% off... but the one I chose (a smallish little number.. 6' tall but skinnier than me... ) was the last one so they sold me the display model for an additional 10% off... I spent $11.00 on my tree. Whoopee!

Here's a pic of me and the tough assembly I had to do once I got home...

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin